Persistent cough and cold conditions can be very irritating besides being bad for the health. Such situations need immediate cure. Some of the ‘at home’ herbal remedies to deal with this situation have been mentioned below:
- Honey: Intake of a spoonful of honey is recommended. It is beneficial due to its anti-bacterial properties. It helps in getting rid of cough which is mainly caused due to bacterial action. It soothes the irritated mucous membranes. It recovers sore throat conditions. An adult can consume one tablespoon of honey three times a day, while children can consume one tablespoon of honey per day, till it is cured. Honey usually takes an action pretty fast. Visit a doctor in case, there are further aggravations.
- Ginger tea: Ginger tea is also very effective in the treatment of cough and cold conditions. Ginger also cures sore throat. The recipe is pretty simple. Add a very little amount of ginger while making the normal tea which anyone regularly loves to consume as beverage. Have this as a normal tea. One can easily have a few cups of ginger in a day. Consult a doctor to learn the suitable quantity for a child.
- Ginger peppermint cough syrup: Ginger work wonders in loosening and expelling out mucous. Peppermint helps in getting rid of the irritation in the throat. In order to prepare such syrup, we need chopped ginger, dried peppermint, water and honey. Refrigerate up to a few weeks and the medicine is all ready for use.
- Black pepper and honey syrup: Black pepper and honey has properties that can cure such medical conditions in a short span of time.
- Thyme tea: Thyme tea is basically the addition of thyme in the normal tea. Thyme helps in relaxing tracheal muscles. They reduce inflammation in the throat area which is a result of catching the common cold conditions. Thyme also reduces headaches and the soothes the entire system.
- Steam: Inhaling water vapour from boiling water is undoubtedly one of the best ways to deal with cough and cold conditions. This should be done at least twice a day to do away with this illness. The number of trials can be increased depending upon the necessity of the situation.
- Gargling salt water: Salt water gargling has got several properties which helps in curing cough and cold. This cures sore throat and any kind of swelling in the throat. This effectively brings back tonsils back to its normal form. It loosens mucus and expels them out of the body. Doctors usually recommend the addition of half a teaspoon of salt in one cup of hot water. This can be done as many times as needed, depending on the situation.