Cinnamon is a regular spice used to add flavour to our culinary tastes. They are highly useful besides making our food taste fabulous and sumptuous.
First of all, we need to know what is cinnamon.
As already stated cinnamon is a spice. They are obtained from the inner barks of trees belonging to the genus Cinnamonum. The word however indicates its brownish tone of colour.
Having its ancestral home of recognition rooted to Egypt, cinnamon is native to various countries like India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Myanmar.
Now, focussing on the health benefits of cinnamon.
Here are some scientific reasons behind the medicinal priority of this delicious spice.
- Rich source of antioxidants: Antioxidants work wonders in our body. They help us get rid of the harmful free radicals. They detoxify our entire system. Cinnamon is also a source of polyphenols.
- The anti-inflammatory properties: The anti-inflammatory properties are very important for our body. It helps in fighting infections. Besides, it repairs tissue damage. It also helps in getting rid of chronic ailments. Hence, it lowers the risk of getting caught by any kind of diseases.
- Good for heart health: Cinnamon takes care of our cardiovascular health. It controls the cholesterol levels and cures the type 2 diabetes in our body. Besides, it improves triglycerides and blood pressure.
- Cures diabetes: This incredible spice helps in controlling the blood sugar levels. This in turn cures diabetes.
- Improves metabolism: There are various factors and properties possessed by this spice, which in turn improves metabolism in the body.
- Insulin resistance condition: Cinnamon reduces the insulin resistance condition. This condition refers the problem in various people who are resistant to the effects of insulin.
- Lower blood sugar levels: Cinnamon considerably reduces the amount of inflow of glucose in to the blood stream. It contains best of digestive enzymes. This slows down the reduction of carbohydrates into its lower forms, in the digestive tract.
- Good for brain cells: Cinnamon has properties which help in the aging of brain cells. It prevents from getting diseases like Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
- Protection against cancer: This spice is widely used in the prevention of cancer. Cancer is characterised by the uncontrolled growth of diseased cells.
- Prevention against bacterial and fungal infections: The major active component of cinnamon is cinnamaldehyde, which helps in having a tough war against the harmful infections, by winning at the end.
- Prevention against HIV virus: This kind of virus is another threat to mankind. However, cinnamon helps in fighting against the HIV virus. HIV virus causes damage to the immune system in a cumulative manner, leading the disastrous AIDS disease.
Know their varieties
Although the above mentioned medicinal functions genuinely belong to the delicious spice, cinnamon, it is always recommendable to stick to the true spice.
There isn’t much need to be confused regarding that as the two points following explains the verse.
The two types of cinnamon are:
- Ceylon cinnamon or our “true” cinnamon.
- Cassia cinnamon or the common variety available in the regular market.